Jobs and Volunteering
The EDO NSW legal team in 2016
Our work relies greatly on the commitment of students and professionals who volunteer their time and skills to help protect the environment. We have a number of opportunities for legal volunteers (see directly below), science volunteers and general volunteers.
If you have practiced environmental law and would like to offer EDO NSW pro bono services, please email your CV to our office.
Law students who have studied environmental law are encouraged to apply to our volunteer program. Volunteers are exposed to a broad range of work, including:
- Legal research on matters concerning biodiversity, climate change, pollution, planning, mining and water law;
- Assisting in the preparation of court documents and drafting letters and legal advices;
- Assisting solicitors in case work and litigation in the Land and Environment Court;
- Engaging in public interest environmental work for a broad scope of clients;
- Drafting submissions and participating in law reform work; and
- Assisting solicitors in the preparation of educational materials for the community.
All legal volunteers undertake a short trial period with EDO NSW. If a volunteer position is then offered, we ask our volunteers to make a commitment to work at least one day per week for at least 3 months.
Student legal volunteers:
- can apply for our Sydney and Northern Rivers offices.
- need to have, or be in the process of completing, a law degree.
- must also have studied planning and/or environmental law. This means having studied a law subject which covers the fundamental principles and concepts of Australian domestic environmental law, preferably with a focus on NSW.
Available days: Monday to Friday.
How to apply:
Please send the following to our office:
- A completed volunteer application form.
- Your curriculum vitae and academic transcript.
- A short covering letter outlining any relevant experience and the practice areas at EDO NSW you are interested in and why.
We will contact you if a position becomes available.
EDO NSW is able to supervise practical legal training (PLT) students. Priority is given to those who have previously volunteered with us.
For more information, please contact either our Sydney office or our Lismore office.
Volunteers with scientific expertise can support us in two ways, either in the office or via our Expert Register.
- To volunteer in the office, please send your completed volunteer application form along with your curriculum vitae to our office. We will contact you if a position becomes available.
- Our Expert Register is a list of people with scientific and technical expertise who are willing to assist us on public interest environmental matters on a pro bono basis (for no fee as a public service) or in limited cases, for a reduced fee. For more information visit our Expert Register web page.
EDO NSW has a limited capacity to accept general volunteers – for example in administration or communications. If you can’t apply under or legal or science volunteer programs, but would still like to help out, email your CV to our office. Please specify in your email whether you are applying to volunteer in an administrative or communications role.