Submission on Draft Outcomes-based Conditions Policy
EDOs of Australia submission on Draft Outcomes-based Conditions Policy
9 October 2015 - Download PDF
The Australian Government is proposing a shift in focus for EPBC Act approval conditions, where development has significant impacts on a matter of national environmental significance. There are a number of risks and uncertainties that arise from the Draft Policy’s approach. While we support improved condition-setting on development projects, including specific environmental outcomes where possible, a mix of conditions is likely to be appropriate.
- not proceeding with the Outcomes-based Conditions Policy at present;
- a more holistic assessment of the Department’s approach to conditioning, compliance and enforcement (including how to better monitor, achieve and report on environmental outcomes, and increase oversight efficiently);
- input from the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) and independent environmental experts (and clear integration with recent ANAO findings);
- identification of current strengths, weaknesses and options for reform; and
- public consultation on those reform options and departmental proposals.