NSW Biodiversity Legislation
The new biodiversity and land clearing regime commenced on 25 August 2017, despite serious concerns about increased land clearing and weakened biodiversity offset standards.
We will continue to provide feedback on aspects of the new regime and to work with communities concerned about the new laws. We are updating our fact sheets to reflect these changes and running community education workshops.
We also now have a report form, which you can fill in after making a report to the OEH about rural land clearing. Find the form here.
For updates on our ongoing biodiversity and native vegetation law reform and outreach work, sign up to our weekly e-bulletin.
May 2018: The political endorsement of extinction
November 2017 case: Nature Conservation Council vs Minister for Primary Industries and Another
Draft regulations and instruments, June 2017
EDO NSW made submissions on each of the 13 consultation documents. You can download all submissions combined, including an executive summary, or read each component separately.
Seminar video: The next stage of biodiversity reforms: what you need to know, presentation slides and video from a community seminar held in Sydney, 1 June 2017.
Biodiversity and land clearing laws passed in November 2016
- Our blog post The new biodiversity, land clearing and vegetation laws – what next?, December 2016.
- The Biodiversity Conservation Act 2016 (NSW) [PDF] and Local Land Services Amendment Act 2016 (NSW) [PDF], passed into law in November 2016.
EDO NSW submission, June 2016, which consists of three reports, on: the draft Biodiversity Conservation Bill, the draft Local Land Services Amendment Bill, and the Biodiversity Assessment Method and Mapping Method
The 2016 NSW biodiversity reforms: 6 things you need to know, blog post 9 June 2016
- Biodiversity Law Reform: What it Means and How to Have Your Say, slides from our community workshops
Biodiversity Law Reform: Analysis of the proposed changes, slides from our seminar in Sydney
- Our top 10 concerns with the draft Biodiversity Conservation Bill 2016 and Local Land Services Amendment Bill, blog post 13 May 2016
Serious backwards step for biodiversity laws, blog post 3 May 2016
Video: biodiversity reform package 2016. Landcare NSW invited EDO NSW to join panel discussions around the State on the reforms. View a 10 minute video presented by EDO NSW Senior Policy and Law Reform Solicitor Nari Sahukar.
- Rachel Walmsley, our Policy and Law Reform Director, appeared on the ABC’s NSW Country Hour radio program to talk about the impact of the reforms. Listen to the program online (skip to 30:30 for the start of the segment).