Updating Climate Change Authority Advice on meeting the Paris Agreement
Updating Climate Change Authority Advice on meeting the Paris Agreement - EDOs of Australia submission
August 2019 - Download
EDOs of Australia has made comments on a Climate Change Authority consultation paper about updating policies to meet the Paris Agreement.
In summary, our recommendations are to:
- Provide input into the upcoming review of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999, in relation to the need for a greenhouse gas trigger
- Address the need to consider a just transition for communities affected by climate mitigation
- Include a review of State and Federal policies and laws which currently incentivise or subsidise increased emissions, entrench fossil fuel technologies or delay a just transition;
- Emphasise the need for complementary policies at the State and Commonwealth level
- Include an express strategy to address the unique challenges of mitigating agricultural emissions.