Responding to applications - EDO NSW

Responding to applications

Comments from the community are also invited on things like development applications and environment protection licences, which have the potential to impact on the environment.

  • Visit your local council’s website to comment on development applications that are notified in your local area – they are often notified in a local newspaper and on the council’s website. Note that public comment is not invited for all developments assessed by the local council, and some types of development do not require public notification or involvement. For more information about LEPs, see our Fact Sheet on LEPs and SEPPs.
  • To comment on applications for environment protection licences, visit the EPA website. Many types of development require environment protection licences. The EPA must consider the public’s comments in deciding whether to grant a licence. This includes any public submissions made under the development assessment process.

Notifications about opportunities to comment on proposals are often required to be published. The NSW Government is required to publish notices for some proposals in a locally circulating newspaper, and sometimes a newspaper that circulates throughout NSW (often The Land). You can keep an eye on the papers to make sure that you don’t miss an opportunity to comment. For more information about notification of proposals, see our Fact Sheet on DAs and consents.