Responding to government proposals - EDO NSW

Responding to government proposals

The national, State and local governments regularly invite input from the community on proposed changes to environmental laws. 

  • To comment on draft plans and policies regulating building and development, visit the NSW Department of Planning and Environment’s website. The types of plans and policies made can include strategic planning for certain regions, draft legislation, plans for infrastructure precincts, and industry policies. The public can submit comments to the Department of Planning and Environment. To read more about plans and policies, see our Fact Sheet on LEPs and SEPPs.
  • To comment on proposed Methodologies or submit a Methodology variation under the Carbon Farming Initiative, visit the Australian Government website. The Carbon Farming Initiative is a voluntary carbon offset scheme. Under the program, farmers and other landholders have the opportunity to earn income for reducing their emissions through improved agricultural and land management practices, such as the reduction of emissions from livestock or fertiliser use, or increasing carbon in soils or vegetation through reforestation.
  • To comment on chemical reviews that the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) is carrying out, visit the APVMA’s website. Information about current chemical reviews can be found on the website. APVMA has the power to review and vary the conditions of registration of pesticides. It can decide to cancel their registration if new information shows that they will be generally harmful, or harmful if used in particular ways.
  • To comment on pesticide control orders, visit the EPA website. Notices will appear in the NSW Government Gazette, which is published every Friday at 2pm. Pesticide control orders can be issued by the EPA to protect public health, property, the environment or trade, or to implement a decision or policy of the APVMA. Pesticide control orders cover things such as the use of 1080 baits for rabbits, feral pigs, wild dogs and foxes; endosulfan; aerial spraying; 1080 liquid concentrate; and the use of 1080 in livestock collars.
  • To comment on chemical control orders, visit the EPA website. Notices will appear in the NSW Government Gazette, which is published every Friday at 2pm. If the EPA is concerned that a particular chemical substance is likely to be accumulated, dumped or abandoned, it can declare that substance to be a 'chemical waste'. The EPA has the power to make a chemical control order over a declared chemical waste at any time. Chemical control orders can be made for chemicals that have been declared as waste and for any other chemicals that are declared as environmentally hazardous. A chemical control order can prohibit the use of a chemical, and can specify how the controlled chemical can be safely handled and disposed of. Chemical control orders are usually made where controls on chemicals are required beyond those available under pollution laws (e.g. discharge limits under pollution licences, or labelling requirements).