An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced legal administrator to join the NSW team.
Under the direction of the Principal Lawyer you will play a key role in ensuring the effective and efficient management of NSW’s advice and litigation files. You will also be a key part of the Administration Team, which provides the administrative functions necessary to the general operations of the office and to support its staff, management and clients.
Your days will be varied. While your focus will be on providing adequate support to the litigation team, you may also assist in the preparation for a CLE clinic, take meeting minutes, complete a visa application for the International Team or process a donation over the phone.
This is an exciting role in a small, dynamic team at a time of considerable growth for the Environmental Defenders Office. If you are a proactive, efficient and highly organised professional we encourage you to apply.
Main tasks and responisibilites:
- Prepare and manage legal documents, including legal briefs, legal files, correspondence and other record-keeping
- Manage the office’s legal files, including opening, closing, filing and archiving
- Coordinate and track client disbursements, invoicing and cost agreements
- Liaise with Solicitors regarding client needs and respond under instruction
- Liaise with clients, Barristers and other parties as required
- Update and maintain databases, registers and other electronic and hard-copy records
- Support the advice line, including answering calls, conducting intakes as required, and managing the duty solicitor roster
- Manage the legal volunteer program, including ongoing recruitment, induction and rostering
- Assist other staff and volunteers to understand and use the office’s file management systems
- Provide other legal support to Solicitors, including renewing practicing certificates, minute taking, registrations and bookings
- Provide general office support in coordination with the Administration Team, including but not limited to:
- liaise with office suppliers and building manager as required,
- frontline and reception duties over the phone, email and occasional walk-ins,
- participation in shared duties, e.g. mail register, EDO NSW inbox,
- support administration volunteers
- 3+ years’ experience in legal administration or similar.
- Familiarity with court processes and experience with legal document management and the assembly of legal briefs.
- Ability and confidence to liaise with clients, barristers and other parties.
- Experience with or knowledge of billing and cost settlement processes.
- Experience with volunteer programs or supervising volunteers.
- A commitment to attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong interpersonal, organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to problem solve and work on own initiative.
- Commitment to EDO’s values and interest in our work protecting Australia’s environment through the law.
Position: The position is full-time (1 FTE) for 12 months with possibility of extension
Salary: Salary dependent on experience.
If you are interested in joining the EDO team, please contact us. EDO provides an inspiring and flexible workplace to get the best out of our staff.
Applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com with ‘Application for position of Legal Administrator’ in the subject line. Applications must include a CV and a letter that clearly addresses each of the selection criteria. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
For further information, contact Blake Powell, Operations Director, on 02 9262 6989 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications close 5pm, Tuesday, 03 September.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identified people are encouraged to apply.