Our work for the Murray-Darling Basin
The EDO has been defending the Murray-Darling river system for years. Since the Basin Plan was made, we’ve acted as an independent watchdog, identifying problems with mismanagement, over-extraction and a failure to consider the effects of climate change on the system.
We provide regular expert analysis, opinion and news on Basin issues, so sign up below to keep up with the EDO's water news.
See us and our friends in action on the Barka/Darling River
River Lore, Water Law
Ripple: Uncle Badger Bates
Ripple: Kat McBride
Ripple: Dugald Bucknell
Expert commentary from the EDO team
- After the Royal Commission, what next for Murray-Darling Basin law reform? – February 2019
- Toxic: what’s rotten in the Murray-Darling Basin? – January 2019
- Managing our scarce water resources – a summary of recent developments in the MDB – December 2018
- Listen to Emma Carmody, water law expert, in a podcast on climate and water law – November 2018
- Dr Emma Carmody – a transcript of her appearance at the SA Murray Darling Basin Royal Commission – September 2018
- Less water, less transparency – the latest amendment to the Commonwealth Water Act 2007– July 2018
- NSW water Bill – A legal briefing note – June 2018
- The lack of transparency in irrigation efficiency programs explained – April 2018
Specialist law reform submissions
EDO's water law news
For updates on our work for the people and rivers of the Murray-Darling Basin, sign up to our dedicated water mailing list.